Research and Publications by Dr. Mark Rosenthal
The paediatric respiratory department of the Royal Brompton Hospital has one of the highest research outputs for its type in Europe and probably the world. We all collaborate together. My research was originally into how a child's heart and lungs adapt to exercise when they have diseases such as heart disease , cystic fibrosis, bronchiectasis, sickle cell disease or being born very pre-term. My research has also pioneered a new treatment for Cystic Fibrosis called Azithromycin. I have co supervised three MDs (Doctor of medicine research theses) and one PhD (Doctor of Philosophy Scientific Thesis). I have a strong interest in medical statistics which means I often help with the sums in other projects!
Summaries of all the papers I have been involved with can be seen on http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed and then typing 'rosenthal m' without the quotes in the search box remembering that there are several rosenthal m's in the world!
Publications (Peer Reviewed)
1) Rosenthal M. CON: encouraging resistance to rule-based medicine is essential to improving outcomes.Thorax. 2015 Feb;70(2):112-4.
2) Crowley S, Chaudry RA, Rosenthal M, Bush A. Letter to the editor in reply to 'pulmonary vascular volumes and airways obstruction in SCD patients'. Thorax. 2014 Nov;69(11):1052
3) Chaudry RA, Rosenthal M, Bush A, Crowley S Reduced forced expiratory flow but not increased exhaled nitric oxide or airway responsiveness to methacholine characterises paediatric sickle cell airway disease. Thorax. 2014 Jun;69(6):580-5
4) Rosenthal M. Prognostication in cystic fibrosis: another futile pastime? Arch Dis Child. 2014 Jan;99(1):2-3
5) Tan HL, Rosenthal M. IL-17 in lung disease: friend or foe? Thorax. 2013 68:788-90
6) Chaudry RA, Bush A, Rosenthal M, Crowley S. The impact of sickle cell disease on exercise capacity in children. Chest. 2013 Feb 1;143(2):478-84
7) Sharples J, Gupta A, Fleming L, Bossley CJ, Bracken-King M, Hall P, Hayward A, Puckey M, Balfour-Lynn IM, Rosenthal M, Bush A, Saglani S. Long-term effectiveness of a staged assessment for paediatric problematic severe asthma. Eur Respir J. 2012 ;40:264-7
8) Bronchoscopy in Cystic Fibrosis Infants Diagnosed by Newborn Screening. Stafler P, Davies JC, Balfour-Lynn IM, Rosenthal M, Bush A. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2011;46:696-700
9) Influence of secular trends and sample size on reference equations for lung function tests. Quanjer PH, Stocks J, Cole TJ, Hall GL, Stanojevic S; on behalf of the ERS Global Lungs Task Force. Eur Respir J. 2011;37:658-664
10) Development of the bronchial epithelial reticular basement membrane: relationship to epithelial height and age. Tsartsali L, Hislop AA, McKay K, James AL, Elliot J, Zhu J, Rosenthal M, Payne DN, Jeffery PK, Bush A, Saglani S. Thorax. 2011;66:280-285
11) Paediatric sickle cell disease: pulmonary hypertension but normal vascular resistance. Chaudry RA, Cikes M, Karu T, Hutchinson C, Ball S, Sutherland G, Rosenthal M, Bush A, Crowley S. Arch Dis Child. 2011;96:131-6
12) Patients with cystic fibrosis should not be intubated and ventilated. Rosenthal M. J R Soc Med. 2010 Jul;103 Suppl 1:S25-6.
13) Changes in FEV1/FVC ratio during childhood and adolescence: an intercontinental study. Quanjer PH Stanojevic S Stocks J Hall GL Prasad KV Cole TJ Rosenthal M et al. European Respir J 2010;36:1391-9
14) Can Mucoid Pseudomonas be eradicated in children with cystic fibrosis. McPherson H, Rosenthal M Bush A. Pediatr Pulmonol 2010;45:566-568.
15) The Bronchial Circulation- worth a closer look: a review of the relationship between the bronchial vasculature and airway inflammation. McCullagh A Rosenthal M wanner A Hurtado A Padley S Bush A. Pediatr Pulmonol 2010;45:1-13.
16) Fungal Pleural effusion secondary to a rare cause of pancreatic pseudocyst. Gupta A Marrs T Urquhart D Clarke S Rosenthal M Bush A. Pediatr Pulmonol 2009;44:616-618
17) Corticosteroid responsiveness and clinical characteristics in childhood difficult asthma. Bossley CJ Saglani S Kavanagh C Payne DN Wilson N Tsartsali L Rosenthal M Balfour-Lynn IM Nicholson AG Bush A. Eur Respir J 2009;34:1052-1059
18) Gas transfer and pulmonary blood flow at rest and during exercise in adults 21 years after pre-term birth. Narang I Bush A Rosenthal M. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 2009;180:339-345.
19) Differential hyperaemia of the airways. Gupta A, Magee A Rosenthal M. Cardiol young 2009 May 15:1.
20) Marked improvement in cystic fibrosis lung disease and nutrition following change in home environment. Gupta A, Urquhart D Rosenthal M. J Royal Soc Med 2009,102 Suppl 1:45-48.
21) Endobronchial polyp secondary to pulmonary tuberculosis. Gupta A, Pauliah S, Urquhart DS, Rosenthal M. Arch Dis Child. 2009;94:230.
22) Non-invasive assessment of exercise performance in children with cystic fibrosis (CF) and non-cystic fibrosis bronchiectasis: Is there a CF specific muscle defect? Rosenthal M, Narang I, Edwards L, Bush A. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2009;44:222-30.
23) Time required to obtain endobronchial biopsies in children during fiberoptic bronchoscopy. Regamey N, Balfour-Lynn I, Rosenthal M, Hogg C, Bush A, Davies JC.
Pediatr Pulmonol. 2009;44:76-9.
24) Annual assessment spirometry, plethysmography, and gas transfer in cystic fibrosis: do they predict death or transplantation. Rosenthal M. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2008;43:945-52.
25) Longitudinal evaluation of airway function 21 years after preterm birth. Narang I, Rosenthal M, Cremonesini D, Silverman M, Bush A. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2009;178:74-80.
26) Sleep disordered breathing in a 4 year old child with Down's syndrome. Urquhart DS, Perry L, Gupta A, Rosenthal M. BMJ. 2008 Oct 1;337:a1229. doi:
27) Sanja Stanojevic, Angie Wade, Janet Stocks, John Hankinson, Allan L. Coates, Huiqi Pan, Mark Rosenthal, Mary Corey, Patrick Lebecque, and Tim J. Cole. Reference Ranges for Spirometry Across All Ages: A New Approach. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2008;177 253-260
28) Sleep disordered breathing in a 4 year old child with Down's syndrome.Urquhart DS, Perry L, Gupta A, Rosenthal M.BMJ. 2008 Oct 1;337:a1229. doi: 10.1136/bmj.a1229.
29) Narang I, Rosenthal M, Bush A. Reproducibility of cardioventilatory measurements using a respiratory mass spectrometer. Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2007;157:310-5.
30) Mukherjee S, Langroudi B, Rosenthal M, Balfour-Lynn IM. Incidence and outcome of scoliosis in children with pleural infection. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2007;42:221-4
31) Regamey N, Hilliard TN, Saglani S, Zhu J, Scallan M, Balfour-Lynn IM, Rosenthal M, Jeffery PK, Alton EW, Bush A, Davies JC. Quality, size, and composition of pediatric endobronchial biopsies in cystic fibrosis. Chest. 2007;131:1710-7
32) Hilliard TN, Sukhani S, Francis J, Madden N, Rosenthal M, Balfour-Lynn I, Bush A, Davies J. Bronchoscopy following diagnosis with cystic fibrosis.
Arch Dis Child. 2006 Nov 6; [Epub ahead of print]
33) Saglani S, Nicholson AG, Scallan M, Balfour-Lynn I, Rosenthal M, Payne DN, Bush A. Investigation of young children with severe recurrent wheeze: any clinical benefit?
Eur Respir J. 2006:29-35
34) Bilolikar H, Nam AR, Rosenthal M, Davies JC, Henderson DC, Balfour-Lynn IM. Tumour necrosis factor gene polymorphisms and childhood wheezing.
Eur Respir J. 2005 Oct;26(4):637-46.
35) Hilliard T, Edwards S, Buchdahl R, Francis J, Rosenthal M, Balfour-Lynn I, Bush A, Davies J. Voriconazole therapy in children with cystic fibrosis.
J Cyst Fibros. 2005;4:215-20.
36) Edwards EA, Narang I, Li A, Hansell DM, Rosenthal M, Bush A. HRCT lung abnormalities are not a surrogate for exercise limitation in bronchiectasis. Eur Respir J. 2004;24:538-44.
37) Chavasse RJ, Francis J, Balfour-Lynn I, Rosenthal M, Bush A. Serum vitamin D levels in children with cystic fibrosis. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2004;38:119-22.
38) Balfour-Lynn IM, Mohan U, Bush A, Rosenthal M. Intravenous immunoglobulin for cystic fibrosis lung disease: a case series of 16 children. Arch Dis Child. 2004;89:315-9.
39) Rosenthal M. How a non-allergist survives an allergy clinic. Arch Dis Child. 2004;89:238-43.
40) Narang I, Pike S, Rosenthal M, Balfour-Lynn IM, Bush A. Three Minute step test to assess exercise capacity in children with cystic fibrosis with mild lung disease. Pediatr Pulmonol 2003;35:108-113.
41) Chavasse R, Johnson P, Francis J, Balfour-Lynn I, Rosenthal M, Bush A. To clip or not to clip? Noseclips for spirometry. Eur Resp J 2003;21:876-878.
42) Equi A, Balfour-Lynn I, Bush A, Rosenthal M. Long term azithromycin in children with cystic fibrosis: a randomised, placebo-controlled crossover trial. Lancet 2002;360:978-984.
43) Davies JC Potter M Bush A Rosenthal M Geddes DM Alton EW. Bone marrow stem cells do not repopulate the healthy upper respiratory tract. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2002;34:251-6.
44) McShane D, Nicholson AG, Goldstraw P, Ladas G, Travis WD, Ramanan R, Balfour-Lynn IM, Rosenthal M, Bush A. Inflammatory endobronchial polyps in childhood: clinical spectrum and possible link to mechanical ventilation. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2002;34:79-84.
45) Payne DN, Balfour-Lynn IM, Biggart EA, Bush A, Rosenthal M. Subcutaneous terbutaline in children with chronic severe asthma. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2002;33:356-61.
46) Ranganathan SC, Dezateux C, Bush A, Carr SB, Castle RA, Madge S, Price J, Stroobant J, Wade A, Wallis C, Stocks J. Airway function in infants newly diagnosed with cystic fibrosis. Lancet. 2001;358:1964-5.
47) Jaffe A, Hamutcu R, Dhawan RT, Adler B, Rosenthal M, Bush A. Routine ventilation scans in children with cystic fibrosis: diagnostic usefulness and prognostic value. Eur J Nucl Med 2001;28:1313-1318.
48) Equi A. Redington A. Rosenthal M. Taylor GM. Jaswon M. Bush A. Pulmonary artery occlusion from tuberculous lymphadenopathy in a child. Pediatric Pulmonology. 2001;31:311-313.
49) Gatzoulis MA, Balaji S, Webber SA, Siu SC, Hokanson JS, Poile C, Rosenthal M, Nakazawa M, Moller JH, Gillette PC, Webb GD, Redington AN. Risk factors for arrhythmia and sudden cardiac death late after repair of tetralogy of Fallot: a multicentre study. Lancet. 2000;356:975-81.
50) Schulze-Neick I, Ho SY, Bush A, Rosenthal M, Franklin RC, Redington AN, Penny DJ. Severe airflow limitation after the unifocalization procedure: clinical and morphological correlates. Circulation. 2000 Nov 7;102(19 Suppl 3):III 142-147.
51) Rosenthal M. Bush A. Ventilatory variables in normal children during rest and exercise. European Respiratory Journal. 2000;16:1075-1083.
52) Coren ME. Nicholson AG. Goldstraw P. Rosenthal M. Bush A. Open lung biopsy for diffuse interstitial lung disease in children. European Respiratory Journal. 1999;14:817-21.
53) Brown K. Rosenthal M. Bush A. Fatal invasive aspergillosis in an adolescent with cystic fibrosis. Pediatric Pulmonology. 1999;27:130-1333.
54) Rosenthal M Bush A. The effects of surgically treated pulmonary stenosis on lung growth and cardiopulmonary function in children during rest and exercise Eur resp J 1999;13:590-596.
55) Brett SJ, Chambers J, Bush A, Rosenthal M, Evans TW. Pulmonary response of normal human subjects to inhaled vasodilator substances. Clinical Science 1998; 95: 621-627.
56) Phillips GE, Pike SE, Rosenthal M, Bush A. Holding the baby: head downwards positioning for physiotherapy does not cause gastro-oesophageal reflux. Eur Respir J 1998; 12: 954-957.
57) Nicholson AG, Kim H, Corrin B, Bush A, du Bois RM, Rosenthal M, Sheppard MN. The value of classifying interstitial pneumonitis in childhood according to defined histological patterns. Histopathology 1998; 33: 203-211.
58) Rosenthal M Bush A. The non-invasive assessment of cardiopulmonary haemodynamics in children during rest and exercise: Methods and normal values. Eur Resp J 1998; 11:854-865
59) Jaffe A Francis J Rosenthal M Bush A. Long-term azithromycin may improve lung function in cystic fibrosis in children. Lancet 1998;351:420.
60) Rosenthal M Bush A. The simultaneous comparison of acetylene and carbon dioxide flux as a measure of effective pulmonary blood flow in children. Eur Resp J. 1997;10:2586-2590.
61) Davies J, Trindale M Wallis C Rosenthal M Crawford O Bush A. Retrospective review of the effects of rhDNase in children with cystic fibrosis. Pediatric Pulmonology. 1997;23:243-248.
62) Coren M Rosenthal M Bush A. The use of cyclosporin in corticosteroid dependent asthma. Arch Dis Child 1997;77:522-523.
63) Rosenthal M Redington A Bush A. Cardiopulmonary physiology after surgical closure of asymptomatic secundum atrial septal defects in childhood. Eur Heart J 1997;18:1816-1822.
64) Davies J Trindale M Wallis C Rosenthal M Bush A. The clinical use of rhDNAse. Pediatric Pulmonology - Supplement. 16:273-4, 1997.
65) Oades PJ Rosenthal M MacSweeney EJ BushA. Subclinical colonic thickening in cystic fibrosis. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine. 1996;89 Suppl 27:24-30.
66) Davies J Rosenthal M Bush A. Severe small airways disease resistant to medical treatment in a child with cystic fibrosis. J Roy Soc Med 1996;89:172-173.
67) MacSweeney E Oades P Buchdahl R Rosenthal M Bush A. The relationship between high strength enzymes and colonic thickening in children with cystic fibrosis. Lancet 1995;345:752-756.
68) Rosenthal M Bush A Deanfield JE Redington A. A comparison of cardiopulmonary function in children undergoing the atriopulmonary or total cavopulmonary connection Fontan procedure. Circulation 1995;91:372-378.
69) Rosenthal M Bain SH Bush A Warner JO. Weight/Height2.88 as screening for obesity or thinness in schoolage children. Eur J Paed 1994;153:876-883.
70) Rosenthal M Bain SH Cramer D Helms P Denison D Bush A Warner JO. Lung function in caucasian children aged 4-19 years. I-Spirometry. Thorax 1993;48:794-802.
71) Rosenthal M Cramer D Bain SH Denison D Bush A Warner JO. Lung function in white caucasian children aged 4-19 years. II-Single breath analysis and plethysmography. Thorax 1993;48:803-808
72) Rosenthal M, Bellman M. Infantile spasms: a price for ignoring parental anxiety?
73) Rosenthal M. Changes in urinary amino acid fractional excretion in neonates undergoing parenteral nutrition. Early Human Development. 1988;20:37 44.
74) Rosenthal M, Price DA, Addison GM. Congenital Hypothyroidism in the North West region: Increased incidence in Asian families. Archives of Disease in Childhood 1988;63:790 793.
75) Rosenthal M, Miller P. Ranitidine in the newborn. Archives of Disease in Childhood 1988;63:88 89.
76) Rosenthal M, Sinha S, Layward E, Levene M. A double blind comparison of a new paediatric amino acid solution in neonatal parenteral nutrition. Early Human Development 1987;15:137 146.
AS PART OF THE LONDON CYSTIC FIBROSIS COLLABORATION
77) Nguyen TT, Thia LP, Hoo AF, Bush A, Aurora P, Wade A, Chudleigh J, Lum S, Stocks J; LondonCystic Fibrosis Collaboration (LCFC). Evolution of lung function during the first year of life in newborn screened cystic fibrosis infants. Thorax. 2014 Oct;69(10):910-7
78) Thia LP, Calder A, Stocks J, Bush A, Owens CM, Wallis C, Young C, Sullivan Y, Wade A, McEwan A, Brody AS; London Cystic Fibrosis Collaboration. Is chest CT useful in newborn screened infants with cystic fibrosis at 1 year of age? Thorax. 2014 Apr;69(4):320-7
79) Chudleigh J, Hoo AF, Ahmed D, Prasad A, Sheehan D, Francis J, Buckingham S, Cowlard J, Thia L, Nguyen TT, Stocks J; on behalf of the London Cystic Fibrosis Collaboration (LCFC). Positive parental attitudes to participating in research involving newborn screened infants with CF. J Cyst Fibros. 2012;12:234-240
80) Hoo AF, Thia LP, Nguyen TT, Bush A, Chudleigh J, Lum S, Ahmed D, Balfour Lynn I, Carr SB, Chavasse RJ, Costeloe KL, Price J, Shankar A, Wallis C, Wyatt HA, Wade A, Stocks J; LondonCystic Fibrosis Collaboration.Lung function is abnormal in 3-month-old infants with cystic fibrosis diagnosed by newborn screening. Thorax. 2012;67:874-81.
81) Owens CM, Aurora P, Stanojevic S, Bush A, Wade A, Oliver C, Calder A, Price J, Carr SB, Shankar A, Stocks J; London Cystic Fibrosis Collaboration.Lung Clearance Index and HRCT are complementary markers of lung abnormalities in young children with CF.Thorax. 2011;66:481-8.
82) Aurora P, Stanojevic S, Wade A, Oliver C, Kozlowska W, Lum S, Bush A, Price J, Carr SB, Shankar A, Stocks J; London Cystic Fibrosis Collaboration.Lung clearance index at 4 years predicts subsequent lung function in children with cystic fibrosis.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2011;183:752-8.
83) Lung function from infancy to the preschool years after clinical diagnosis of cystic fibrosis. Kozlowska WJ, Bush A, Wade A, Aurora P, Carr SB, Castle RA, Hoo AF, Lum S, Price J, Ranganathan S, Saunders C, Stanojevic S, Stroobant J, Wallis C, Stocks J; London Cystic Fibrosis Collaboration.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2008 Jul 1;178(1):42-9.
84) Early detection of cystic fibrosis lung disease: multiple-breath washout versus raised volume tests. Lum S, Gustafsson P, Ljungberg H, Hülskamp G, Bush A, Carr SB, Castle R, Hoo AF, Price J, Ranganathan S, Stroobant J, Wade A, Wallis C, Wyatt H, Stocks J; London Cystic Fibrosis Collaboration.Thorax. 2007;62:341-7.
85) Multiple-breath washout as a marker of lung disease in preschool children with cystic fibrosis. Aurora P, Bush A, Gustafsson P, Oliver C, Wallis C, Price J, Stroobant J, Carr S, Stocks J; London Cystic Fibrosis Collaboration.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2005;171:249-56.
86) Quality control for spirometry in preschool children with and without lung disease. Aurora P, Stocks J, Oliver C, Saunders C, Castle R, Chaziparasidis G, Bush A; London Cystic Fibrosis Collaboration. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2004 May 15;169(10):1152-9.